As you may be aware, Musical Bridges Around the World’s annual gala fundraiser D’s on Keys for 2021 was postponed twice, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. But it’s finally happening, virtually this Sunday 5 June at 11 AM CST! This year is free to watch online on the D’s on Keys gala page, or on the Musical Bridges’ YouTube channel. Sponsorship opportunities, as well as a silent auction starting Thursday 26 May at 12 PM CST are also available via the gala page. More info on that below as well. The uniqueness of the gala comes from its performers, who are a mix of respected doctors, executives, professionals, typically anyone with a “D” in their title (MD, JD, DMA, DBA, etc.) hence the name “D’s on Keys“. Professional musicians are not discluded, typically providing backing to vocalists or D’s with solo instruments.
The event proceeds always goes to support a specific MBAW community program, and this year it is focusing on Musical Sprouts, an educational program that provides children in Title 1 schools opportunities to travel the world by bringing performing artists and cultural connections to their classrooms. Musical Sprouts students are currently learning about China with a brand new virtual concert film produced in partnership with San Antonio’s sister city in Wuxi, as well as a new STEAM-enhanced curricula eBook! Your sponsorship, donation, or bid will go to help secure another 3 cultural segments next school year and expand the program to more schools.
China is Musical Sprouts latest cultural segment.
This year’s outstanding lineup includes performances from:
- Dr. Francisco G. Cigarroa, transplant surgeon and chancellor of the UT System from 2009 through 2014, on classical guitar
- The Rick Cavender Band, led by the president of Audi Dominion, in a mix of pop/rock/country styles
- Valerie Collins, AICP, soprano and associate vice president of Pape Dawson Engineering, along with Aaron Prado, DMA, and his jazz trio
- Dr. Josefine Heim-Hall, pathologist at University Health, on piano (classical)
- Dr. Nichole Van de Putte, Obstetrician-Gynecologist with Communicare Health Centers, on vocals with MBAW Artistic Coordinator Elena Portnaya, DMA, on piano (classical)
- Matthew Rose, British fish-n-chips entrepreneur and cook, with an original composition for voice and mandolin
- Dr. Angel L. Rivera, optometrist with the Department of Veterans Affairs, and his sister Dr. Awilda I. Ramos, pediatrician, will perform a salsa dance.
- Kalalaya Indian Performing Arts, classical Indian dance from young women quartet
Sponsorship opportunities are available ranging from $1,000 to the title sponsorship at $25,000. Whereas an in-person gala exchanges table seats for sponsorship, this virtual gala features party baskets delivered right to your door, with size depending on your level of sponsorship (example: $1k level serves 4 people, while $25k level serves 28 people and includes a special guest artist and waiter to your house party). Each level also has other varying perks including recognition, advertisement placement, and MBAW membership concert subscriptions. Learn more at mbaw.org/dok/donate.
Silent auction opens Thursday 26 May
The silent auction, which starts Thursday 26 May at 12 PM CST, can be accessed through our gala page or by going to the Click Bid auction platform at: mbaw.cbo.io. You will need make sure to register first to be able to bid on items when they open, and all auction items will close Sunday 5 June at 5 PM CST if they have not already been won. Items include a white baby grand piano from Alamo Music Center, destination trip packages, piano lessons from the CEO, photo-editing courses with Digital Pro Lab, artwork/prints, a private piano performance from Anya and Elena, and more!