Reflecting on previous travels and experiences, artist Maya Sokovic expresses moments of observation and memory. Fusing past and present, her works evoke both physical landscapes and sensory recollections in her commitment to seeing beauty in the world.
Ticketing, Parking, and Safety Information
– Tickets are required for entry, but are free. See ticket button above.
– Parking is free.
– Music, wine & bites!
– Masks are strongly encouraged while inside the gallery. To allow social distancing, MBAW reserves the right to limit the number of attendees inside the gallery at a time. Masks and hand sanitizer will be available. Per CDC guidance, we request that unvaccinated individuals wear masks at all times.
– For any other questions, please refer to the FAQ below.
ABOUT THE ARTIST
Maya Sokovic (b. Belgrade, Serbia) is an artist living and working in San Antonio, Texas. Her experimental fascination with her surroundings, color theory, and personal history allow her to reconcile memory and landscape through visual storytelling. The minimalist and abstract compositions,
along with her keenly selected color palette, invite calmness and clarity with just a hint of chaos. Each color layered onto Sokovic’s compositions is a reflection of being in the moment and responding to her perception of collected memories of places, nature and people.
Sokovic earned a BFA from the Academy of Fine Art in Belgrade. Her studio practice includes painting, photography, design and installation. Recent exhibitions include Madrid (Spain), Miami (FL), Sebastopol (CA) and a solo exhibition entitled “Moments” in San Antonio, TX presented by Brick Gallery. Her illustrations have appeared in several books, and she has been featured in newspapers and journals such as Glasjavnosti in Belgrade, the San Antonio Express-News, San Antonio Current and Glasstire. Her work can be found in private collections in the United States, Europe and Australia.
Sokovic exhibits internationally in galleries, alternative art spaces, and community centers.
– Are tickets required for entry to the event?
Yes, but they are free!
– What are the current health protocols I need to follow?
For the safety of patrons and staff, masks are strongly encouraged while inside the gallery. Extra Masks and hand sanitizer will be available. Per CDC guidance, we request that unvaccinated individuals wear masks at all times. To allow social distancing, MBAW reserves the right to limit the number of attendees inside the gallery at a time.
– How do I get to the MBAW Art Gallery? Where do I park?
The Art Gallery at Musical Bridges Around the World is located at: 23705 Frontage Road, Suite 101, San Antonio, TX 78257. Parking is free in the office parking areas and up the hill. Tip: If you are coming from the south and heading north, you will need take Exit 551 and do a turnaround under the I-10 freeway. Once on the access road heading south, the turn is directly after Sun Auto Services (and Las Palapas preceding that).
– Can I take picture(s) or video(s)?
No flash photography.